Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm Baaaaack!

It's been so long I've forgotten how to blog. LOL!

Well here I go.........

Today, another nonstop drama. We are barely in our hotel. Most of our day is bumming a ride from Temeko (our Korean sponsor, Bobby's co-worker who happened to work with him at Ft. Hood.) She has taken us everywhere. She even has taken care of our reservations here at the hotel. She today took us off post, helped with our cellphone purchases, and was with us when we went house hunting. We owe her tons for her help.

Today's main adventure was house hunting. Oh, those Koreans can be wiley. Many of you know, there is no such thing as "set price." Everything can be haggled. Well, today....we haggled for a completely furnished 4-bedroom house/apartment, wireless internet/cable TV, American size washer/dryers, and WATER!

Yeah, water. Supposedly, you don't drink Korean tap water. Don't drink the water in Mexico. Don't drink the water in Korea. Did some research and the water IS drinkable in Korea. South Koreans have been so horrified of North Korean psychology that they have believed and still (some) believe that North Korea has contaminated there water. Even though the World Health Organization has cleared Korean water for consumption, many still to this day won't drink it. Okay, I'm an American and don't really care much for American tap water but that is because that crap that comes out of our faucets taste like...well, crap. I'd rather drink bottled water anyway.

So, water haggling was a little weird to say the least for a house. LOL! Whatever. I'll drink out of a bottle no matter what, even if it was good or...bad.

Well, as my story goes on. The "ahjumma" (Korean term for older women usually over the age of 30, married w/children...or not) realtor lady with much confusion took us over to the house to check it out. Okay, the lady is smaller than me (5'2"ish...to my 5'7") walked waaaaay faster than me. I literally had to walk/jog to keep up with her. Yes, we walked from the office to the house. So all 6 of us (this included Temeko) struggled to keep up with the little woman. Her strides weren't only fast...but long.

We get to the house with much sweat. Workout...maybe. Could have been humidity...maybe. Combination of both...most definitely. The house/apartment was on the 3rd floor. I think. Can't remember...my brain was fried from the intense walk we had. We couldn't get in because the house owner was away. We decided to go outside and wait. It was cooler outside as the sky got darker....rain was on its way. Again.

As we waited, the clouds broke and the sprinkles got bigger. Then out of the blue, a window across the small street (the streets are no wider than the typical alleyway in the States...no joke) opened and this loud angry voice came out. All in Korean. She was yelling at the "ahjumma". All I caught out of the yelling was...rain (bi) and child/baby (aegi). I came to the conclusion the "eonni" (older sister/title of respect given to older women by women), as the "ahjumma" called her, was a little beyond pissed that the "ahjumma" made us wait in the rain and that Lauren was getting wet. The "ahjumma" ran to the "eonni" and came back with an umbrella to give to Lauren. Then the "eonni" came outside spewing Korean (probably reprimanding the "ahjumma") with another umbrella which she gave to me. Amazingly, she was an adorable old lady who I instantly fell in love with. You just had to be there. She talked to us in Korean and for some reason we understood what she tried to say. Luckily, I did seem to get some words. I think Temeko, Bobby, and the boys were amazed more so now with my translation skills than ever before. Kekeke!

As the rain came down, we decided to head back to the realty office. As we walked back, Lauren complained that she was tired. Well, yeah....we were walking behind the fastest Korean I've ever seen. I asked Lauren if she wanted a "piggy back ride". I didn't even get a chance to squat down..."ahjumma" was already down and Lauren climbed on her back. At that moment, I realized that most of the Americans I have spoken to weren't joking, that elder Koreans were exceptionally kind to us...the Americans. The "ahjumma" didn't complain. She sweet talked with Lauren. Lauren giggled and laughed with her. At the same time, Temeko, myself and Bobby...walked behind with our jaws dragging on the ground.

Tomorrow, we meet up with the "ahjumma" again to conclude our visit to the house. We hope its the "one" we want. It's right outside the gate. Bobby could walk to work and catch the bus inside the base. Matthew most definitely would not have any problems with getting to school. Heck, he might even could walk with his dad. Eric is our only concern...having to go to school to Osan and all.

Also, tomorrow...we pick up our cellphones. Eric will have to wait just a wee bit longer. We discovered his military ID is missing his SSN. That was really weird. He might have to get a new ID. Anyway, we have to take his SSN card to get his cellphone. I know. I know. "What?!!!" is what you are thinking. Since we are military, it's a requirement for the Korean community to have our "lives" printed on paper. They know we can up and leave and they get screwed in the process because they can't do anything about it.

I just wonder how crazy tomorrow will be.......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a lot to deal with....

-Keiah

Anonymous said...

Aja aja Fighting !!

-GaEul

Anonymous said...

all i have to say is.... WOW!!!!


Ur Bro

Kim said...

Thats amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Its neat that the "little woman" let Lauren be on back and talking to Lauren.
So Sweet :)