Saturday, September 22, 2007

From the mouths of babes...........

Was it yesterday or the day before? I can't remember but Bobby had come home a little earlier than normal and had told me that another "Hail and Farewell" was this Friday (which was yesterday actually). And, I being the social recluse, cringed on the inside because I knew what that meant. I, the newest of officers wives, was to perform my duty and go with my husband, the officer, to this function.

I moaned and groaned. "Do I have to go? Can you go alone? Is it mandatory?" While both Bobby and I bantered back and forth about this, Lauren lay on the floor watching one of her Nick Jr. shows with a coloring book in front of her and a Crayola No Mess Marker poised at the ready in her hand. She scribbled with no care if the color was within or outside the darkly defined boundaries.

As our conversation came to a close, our voices getting louder, Bobby winning in the end. I needed to make an appearance. Lauren looks up from her scribbling, her show (probably Dora, I think) singing in the background, and yells....."Shut Up!" in her most serious of tones for a soon-to-be two-year-old girl. Both Bobby and I look at each other, we open our mouths then close them. What could we say? So we shut up.

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

LOL, Duane and I joke that Matilda is going to tell "all our secrets". :-P