Sunday, August 22, 2010

Not Just Tofu.....

It's lunchtime.  We're hungry.  We decided to go to the Alaskan Mining Company ( a restaurant on post with an all-you-can-eat buffet.)  We get there at 11:30am.  It's an early lunch but it's still lunchtime, none-the-less.  We sit down and discover they are still serving BREAKFASTWhat the.....???  Not in any mood to eat bacon and eggs, we decide to leave. 

It's already hot outside and we're standing outside bickering over what we want to eat, since the AMC was a bust.  Since the KATUSA Snack Bar is walking distance right down the road, we head off. 

You see Koreans don't have a "set" list of items on what is considered breakfast.  What they eat for breakfast, can be eaten for lunch and dinner also.

We get inside and there is only a couple of customers, so ordering and finding a place to sit wasn't hard to come by.  We go to the counter to place our order.  Eric and Bobby order the spicy pork, Lauren gets the ramyun (ramen to the Japanese and Americans), Matthew always gets the yaki mandu, and I go for something different....the Sundubu Chigae (bean curd stew).

I want to try as many different varieties of Korean food.  Everything that I have tried has never been a failure.  Many people think all Koreans just eat dog (gaekogi).  They primarily eat all forms of vegetation and fish.  Sogogi (cow meat) is a treat to most Koreans.  But anyway.......

The Sundubu Chigae.  Was totally awesome!  Out of 5, I give it a 4.  This stew was especially hot (spicy + temperature).  Took me forever to eat it.  I savored every last drop. 

Lauren's ramyun.  We asked for it without the cheese but it came anyway.  She wasn't all that happy so she primarily ate the rice.

I forgot to add one of the side dishes that Eric and Bobby received was a type of bean sprout soup (kongnamul gook).  I didn't think I would like it but it was so nice and refreshing.  And I hear it's great for hangovers.  Very, very low in calorie and satisfying.  I've decided to make my own and give it a go.  The ingredients seemed simple enough. 


Kongnamul Gook.  It's awesomely delicious!

I know y'all are all thinking "bean sprouts?"

No comments: