Thursday, October 19, 2006

Neighbor Woes

I sit here in tears.

My neighbor is a stupid jerk.

The story:
I come home from dropping Eric off at school and making a quick trip to Walmart. As I am getting groceries out of my truck, I smell this fowl smell. I look down and there is the neighbors dog. A puppy. It's a Basset Hound. He's the cutest thing but smells awful. The nails are terribly long, obviously hasn't had a bath, and something else that totally blew my mind. The poor thing has a weeping wound around his neck. The collar is dirty and rancid and the neck is just festering. So guess who is calling the Humane Society. Why get a pet if you can't take care of it? They are our friends and they depend on us. If I could, I would keep him. But then Bobby would kill me. He is so terribly cute and he's friendly. Why, oh why??? Oh, and I went next door to let the guy know his dog was loose......there was no water, no food where he chains him up. Yeah, chains him up! Eeeergh! I don't like seeing chained dogs. They deserve a back yard or let them live inside as long as you can walk them.

My main concern is that he'll get hit by a car or die before the "neighbor" finds him. The neighbor wouldn't answer his door and I know he is there. I thought to put him in the back yard with Daisy but she wouldn't have any of it....and then the thought occurred to me that the poor thing might be carrying something and I didn't want Daisy to get sick. So I had to regretfully put him in front of the neighbors door and run home.......and cry. I'm just hoping the HS gets there. I can't stand watching this poor thing suffer!

Why do I have to care so much???

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh that breaks my heart! ESP it being a Basset which is so dear to me as well. How horrible??!! I shake my head at people like that, animals are far to dear and sweet for someone to treat them that way. I have to say my mom has pets in a pen and she never plays w/them at all (yet she claims to be a animal lover), it makes me so mad, but its one of those things I can't say anything about. Everytime I go to her house I go in the pen and play w/them b/c I just feel SO SORRY for them! They don't even have a water bowl, they have one of those things they lick (like a hamster water thing) and water comes out then...how did her pets survive during the summer is beyond me. But it breaks my heart. I have always vowed to NEVER ever be like her, and that's why I treat my pets like they should be and do everything in my power to make sure they have the best home.

I'm so sorry you had to see that but I'm so glad you called HS..that dog will get better attention somehow, even if it means your neighbors getting in trouble. Which by the way I hope they do!

Anonymous said...

You are the bestest girle!!!! You call the HS. Remember all the animals we used to see at the good ole North vet clinic? I just hate it when owners think it is "cute" to have an animal but do not take care of it. If you can't afford to take care of an animal and get it medical attention then maybe dont get one. Anyway....hope they come pick up the poor thing.

Unknown said...

Ok I am not an animal person but I would NEVER EVER neglect anything like that!!! I hope HS comes for the dog or can do something. On Fort Hood you may as well save your time and not call. We had this cat around our neighborhood that is in BAD shape and a few of us have called multiple times and no one ever came out for it. My neighbor finally felt so sorry for it he took it to the no-kill shelter out by the airport.

Oh I agree about the chains! I hate that! My grandmother had a "full blooded" beautiful male boxer on a chain that was maybe 3 feet long and he lived in FILTH. She fed him table scraps soaked in milk. Jeremy couldn't stand it anymore and went out there late one night and took the dog to a better home. Maybe that wasn't really the right thing to do but that poor dog didn't desreve that!