Friday, August 18, 2006

All Thumbs!

Exercise:
7.02 miles=6-7mph, 0-3 incline, 66 minutes

I have spent most of last night in the ER. Okay, not most of last night....we lucked out and spent only 2 hours there....SHOCKING!! Could have been there longer but I really did have an emergency last night...not a sick child this time. LOL! Why were we there? Ya really want to know? Well, last evening while making the boys quesadillas, I sliced open my right thumb. LOL! I was using my Pampered Chef mandolin. I switched the blades to the slicer (perfect name) from the shredder because I thought it would be easier to lay the sliced cheese on the cooking tortillas than sprinkle shredded cheese. LOL! So as I was going "up and down" on the mandolin....let's just say my right thumb got in the way. It was so bad, I couldn't stop the bleeding. (And I remember the Pampered Chef lady saying the blade was extra sharp....she wasn't lying!!) I got so worried because I couldn't get my blood to clot. UGH! Soooooo....I packed up the kids and we went to the ER on post. I get there and it was busy. Of course! The clinics were closed, parents just getting off of work, and after-school kids were sick with something. I was the only "true" emergency. LOL! I guess I was grossing out the others because I was seen pretty quick after the nurses evaluated me. Before I was evaluated, we sat there for a whole hour! Imagine me sitting there, my hand wrapped up in a towel covered in blood and I have it propped up above my heart. LOL! I have no clue how I drove there. LOL! Anyway, after I was seen, of course my finger stops bleeding and it doesn't look as bad as it did. How embarrassing! It was deep but the doctor said I had wrapped it up so well that the wound would heal nicely and I wouldn't need stitches. (Yesh, I wrapped it up so freaking tight that while we were there, it throbbed worse than the cut itself!) Anyway, they washed it and it was wrapped more "professionaly". Then I was informed that I would have to have a Tetanus shot. Oh joy. Throbbing pain in thumb or throbbing left arm with searing pain running through my muscle. which is worse?? Never realized how much I used my thumb until it's been sliced like a tomato! LOL!

Now I sit here with a pink thumb. They gave me pink and purple gauze tape. How pretty!!! LOL! Anyway, after I took my shower this morning (and let's just say that was a nightmare. My thumb kept getting in the way or I'd put pressure on it accidently), I had to put new dressing on it. Of course, it was wet from said shower. I took the "old" stuff off and the dang thumb was bleeding again. Not gushing but it was "drooling". UGH! I was just sure there would be a clot. I wonder if the shower water loosended the clot? Probably. So I hurriedly put a new bandage on it. Now that was a trial! I'm right handed...and it's my right thumb that was sliced. So I had to do everything left handed. Errrrrgh! It took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to wrap the pink gauze tape around it. LOL! It's not as pretty as the nurses initial job, but it'll do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually cut off skin from my thumb once cutting lettuce, not knowing that Mark finished sharping the knife.(this happened about 2 or 3yrs ago)