Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Making of a Dallas Cowboy Fan.

Exercise:
6.6 miles=63 minutes, 0-10 incline, 4-8mph

First, I must say this. I wasn't born a Cowboy fan...I was raised to be one. I can remember from the age of 3-4 seeing my first game. Yeah, I can remember. Maybe I didn't sit down and really watch it, but I remember seeing the fans in the stadium, the mixture of colors, the Stars on the helmets, the gray/white/silver/blue uniforms, the sounds.....everything. I didn't understand it. But I remember my father and his brother sitting in front of the TV, yelling at the team. Go, go, go!

Why am I reminiscing over this? I sit here and watch the 2006 Hall of Fame ceremony. Troy Aikman and Rayfield Wright were inducted today. As I sat here, listening to Mr. Wright, tears streamed down my face. He was "old school". He was the 1970's. He was a Cowboy. Yes, he was one of "them". He was an original. He was my teacher. He was what a tomboy like me, strived to be. And yet, Troy Aikman hasn't been inducted yet..but I know, memories will halo my soul forever.

As the years have passed, I have never missed a game intentionally. Living in Tennesse, you had to be a Titan or Volunteer fan or no fan at all. So no Cowboy games unless they were on ESPN or they played the Titans. So these past 10 years have been hard. But I have NEVER regressed from my fanaticism of the team. I love them. How can a female like me be that way? I don't know. But I do know that every Sunday was glorious. It was wonderful. Either at my parent's house or my grandparent's house or even my inlaw's house, the sound of the TV announcer, the roar of the fans, the smell of beer (when my family drank), the aroma of food. It was a holiday almost. It was home. It was football Sunday. So as the years have passed, I still get that feeling when I hear them announce the Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys. America's Team. So when it's not a football season, there really isn't much to do but wait....for the next season. Or.....gloat over the Cowboys Superbowl Victory...if they made it to the Superbowl. And they made it or were sooooo close. Yeah, I'm a fan!

I cried when Tom Landry died. The end of Americas team. They died with him. They aren't the same but the glory still halos that name. They may not be America's Team anymore, but they will always and forever be MY team.

So who do I have to thank for this? My father. I don't speak of him much. We aren't close like a father and daughter should be. But on Sundays, we were as close as a father and daughter could be. Because of his love for the Cowboys, he taught me the love of what a game of Cowboy football could be like. And to this day, I can't thank him enough.

Yeah, I'm a Dallas Cowboy fan. And damn proud of it!!

How 'Bout Them Cowboys!!!!!

Yeah, damn proud!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I met both Dion Sanders and Troy Aikman (seperatly) when I was working in sports medicine. Troy is verrrry nice. Very friendly and likeable.