Thursday, March 16, 2006

Running.........

Running is a part of me.

Once upon a time, a long time ago......I once weighed 245lbs. I was young, bored, and lazy. Okay, I'm still lazy! LOL! Anyway, I must have been in denial because I didn't see myself as the large, obese person. I really didn't. I couldn't believe it when one day something would change my life.......chest pains. Roughly 6-7 years ago this happened. It scared me. I went to the doctor and he told me I was okay....possible angina. I was over-exerting my heart muscle. I believed it. I could barely walk to the end of my driveway and get the mail. I'd sit and watch my kids play. If and when I tried to play with them....that was a joke. I was on my butt in minutes. I was "too old for this" I thought to myself. Anyway, the doctor asked me if I wanted to see the nutritionist at the hospital. He said I was an obese person. What?????? Then the light clicked on. I was FAT! So I went to the Nutrition clinic. That was the first day of my new life. I was motivated. Really, truly motivated. I asked Bobby and he agreed that we could buy a treadmill (the first in a long line of treadmills.........) to go along with my new eating habits I was learning at the Nutrition clinic. I started walking for 15 minutes a day...and I just progressed to longer minutes....then walking faster....then longer minutes....then jogging.....then longer minutes....then running....and I've been running since. (I have lost 100 lbs since that first day.) Now I run between 6-10 miles a day. I have ran 12. My new treadmill isn't broken in yet so I've had to cut back the mileage until I get accustomed to it. But this is my new life. To not run is to not breathe....and to not breathe is to not run.

My drug of choice....ADRENALINE. I love how it makes me feel. Not enough, and I am roughly depressed the rest of the day and the guilt eats its way through me. So I must run or I'm shut down for the rest of the day.

No comments: