Monday, May 15, 2006

A Camping We Did Go....





Exercise:
7.5 miles=7-7.5mph, 0 incline, 62 minutes
Let me start off by saying....I ran. I didn't like it. Just did the motions but wasn't comfortable. It was forced. I knew I had to do it to burn off the bad food we had over the weekend. UGH!

Let me just say this....I will never, ever go camping with Lauren again. She did NOT sleep. DID. NOT. SLEEP. Do you understand? UGH!

We left Saturday morning. We dropped Daisy off at the kennel. Drove to the nearest gas station and filled up the Jeep. Got the boys and myself a soda and bought a bag of ice for our perishables. Then away we went. Now the drive wasn't long. Actually it was quite short for the drive. We couldn't believe how fast it took. Not a far drive and wouldn't mind going there again. Lots of trails, trees, even a small park for the kids to play at.

Well, we arrived at the state park. We paid our entrance fee. Oooh! A whopping $4. Ooooh! Then we found the campsite which wasn't too far away. Bobby and the boys set up. I couldn't really help because I had to hold Lauren the whole time. I wasn't putting her in the grass with ant hills and "God-knows-what?" on the ground. Bobby forgot to pack the stroller. UGH! Then we sort of parked our chairs by our "neighbor's" tent and talked a bit. Well, we discover our cubmaster was going to be late. How late? We didn't know that answer. So we sat and sat and sat and sat. I was bored! I wanted to go and do things. The kids were playing in a dried up ravine with downed trees as bridges. They were very, very happy over there. LOL! About 1-2pm...I was fed up. So I rounded up some boys and parents and we went hiking. I remembered, at least, to bring Lauren's "backpack" to put her in and away we went. The hike was only about....2 miles, I think. I'm not for certain. They weren't marked. We saw an Indian cave and a "rock" tower. Lots of dried up ravines and downed trees. It was very pretty. Being where we live...you don't really see a lot of "big" trees. My boys said these were the tallest trees they've ever seen. They must have forgotten the trees in TN and KY...LOL! I must take them to see the Evergreens in CA!! Then they'll see the tallest trees they've ever seen. LOL!

Anyway, back to my story......we got back. People still sitting around. We did eat our lunch we brought. Sat around some more. Then the cubmaster shows up finally and anounces he wants to go on a hike!!! LOL! Well, Lauren was pooped and I wasn't going again. Not that I didn't want to. I really wanted to go. I love hiking! Just too much for a 7 month old, ya know? So Bobby and the boys went again. This time they went to a "wash" pond??? Don't exactly know what that is. They came back, we ate dinner. I was getting restless....must have S'mores! I was looking forward to this and felt our cub leaders were just running a "little tooooooo slow". One of our neighbors let us use her "coals" to cook our marshmallows. Just wasn't the same as a gool old fire pit. Well, I guess, someone got wind that I was cooking S'mores because within 15 minutes a fire was built. Made me mad because we were almost done eating ours. UGH! Anyway, we headed down to the fire and sat around it. Our cubmaster, I must say, is a very good singer. He played his guitar and played classic rock songs and country songs. The cubmaster and asst. cubmaster made some classic desserts on the pit. I was so full from my S'mores I didn't eat any. Just the thought made me sick. Some Mississippi Mud pie and Cherry cobbler was cooked over the fire. Now all this time we were there....Lauren slept only 30 minutes max. She just wouldn't sleep. LOL! Around 10pm we finally went to sleep in our tent. Lauren was on her 10th wind! She just would't sleep. But finally, she went down...but then...the storms came!! It was, maybe, midnight, I think. I didn't have a watch. They woke her up and she fought me the rest of the night. I think it was 4am when she went back to sleep. But that was with the help of the car seat. We rocked her in it. We didn't get up until after 7:30am I guess. I could hear the camp moving about. I was so tired. I was pitiful. I admit it. It wasn't just a bit later we could hear more thunder and we got hit again. UGH! We had to pack the tents quick!!!! Since I had Lauren, I tried to pick up trash and clean out the Jeep for a quick get-a-way! We were supposed to have had a Mother's Day breakfast made by the cubbers but most of us were "DONE" and were ready to go home. I didn't care...just wanted a nap. So the breakfast was "scrubbed" and we ALL left.

I really think it would have been better if they had more planned for the boys and if Lauren would get used to sleeping "out". I'd love to go camping again....just better planning next time and when Lauren is waaaaaay older. LOL!


No comments: